Sunday, December 15, 2019

Keep fueling up with a try-full lifestyle


If you are right, giving up is wrong


PTSD Patrol
Kathie Costos
December 15, 2019
“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” ―Dale Carnegie

When you know you are right about something, you fight to prove it. You do not give up on what is important to you. At least that is the way it is supposed to work, but sometimes, no matter how hard or how long you try, fighting can drain whatever hope you have left. But fighting is what keeps us moving forward.

When I moved to New Hampshire, I brought a truckload of misery with me. I did not notice I packed every rotten thing that happened there 1,600 miles away.

Last week I had to call my friend Dana Morgan, the past President of Point Man, because I could not bring myself to pick up the phone to contact some of the groups up here working on veterans issues.

All the doors slammed in my face in Florida, caused a panic within me just thinking of dialing the number I had written down. Too many times I asked for help for what I had dedicated more than half my life to, yet few wanted to help me. The thing that got to me the most were those who constantly expected me to help them do what they wanted to do.

I knew my motivation was pure. I knew my knowledge was vast and well researched. I knew it helped veterans and families, like mine, learn to thrive in spite of PTSD trying to take over their lives. Just as I packed a truck load of misery, all of that came with me.

Talking with Dana, he made me realize that the worst that could happen was to hear "not interested" from people I was contacting. He suggested I call the one I though would reject me the worst. I called and was put in touch with someone higher up. While some want to trifle with me, I'd rather have a "try-full life" when I wake up and try again.

Finding someone higher up can only happen if we do not settle for "no" or "not interested" for an answer. Work your way up the chain until you find the right kind of helper to get you to where you want to be.

If you have PTSD and know what it is, then you know the truth about part of your life. You know what is inside of you that has been there all along, as well as you know the changes that "what happened" caused. The thing is, you can change again and everything that was in you, all the stuff that made you "you" is all still there.

If anyone tells you that you are doomed to suffer, feel sorry for them because they are too miserable in their own lives to bother to learn anything factual.

Fight to regain what is right within you so that you can break through the pain and doubt that has you trapped. The worst thing that can happen, already did and you survived it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it