Friday, January 29, 2021

PTSD Patrol not backing down at gate of hell

PTSD Patrol
Kathie Costos
January 29, 2021

Someone asked me why I haven't given up yet. After all, considering how long I've been doing this work, it is easy to think I'm a failure. I never made enough money to do this for a living, I'm not rich and have been introduced as "the most famous person you never heard of" for good reason. I've done the work for the sake of the work and nothing else.

As for the famous part, if you ever hear the term "suffering in silence" or "new normal" they are just a couple examples of the fact that the terms became famous, while "no one" heard of where they came from. New normal came from living with PTSD because everything we were going through was actually our normal life as survivors. Suffering in silence was in my first book because back then, no one was talking about PTSD, so anyone with it, felt they had to hide what was happening to us.

Not backing down is why today's feature video is I Won't Back Down
'A Song For Any Struggle': Tom Petty's 'I Won't Back Down' Is An Anthem Of Resolve
NPR 

Of all his many, many hit songs, the one that Tom Petty said had the most direct and powerful impact on his fans was "I Won't Back Down." 

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
The song was released in 1989 on Petty's solo album Full Moon Fever. The artist told interviewers that people would come up to him all the time, or would write to him, sharing stories of how this song — with its plainspoken message of resilience and empowerment — helped steer them through difficult times. 

"He told me that he heard, or read somewhere, that it brought a girl out of a coma," recalls his widow, Dana Petty. "It was her favorite song and they played it and she came out of a coma, which blew his mind." (click link for more)

The thing is, I never did and never will back down! You shouldn't either. I stood at the gates of hell and told PTSD I won't back down. I've gone after groups who just used our suffering for their own bank accounts and didn't back down. I wouldn't back down from fighting for my husband, anymore than I would back down on fighting for others to heal.

You may think that healing is a scary thing because suffering can become comfortable where there are no surprises and you don't go into the unknown. Healing can be a scary because it requires leaps of faith, work and change. That is the truth but it is also true that you won't ever get happy again until you heal and not settling for what "is" will make a happier life possible.

Don't back down just because you think it is hard. While it takes longer to heal than when "it" happened to you, it isn't harder than surviving it itself.

Remember, it is your life...get in and drive it!



Tom Petty I Won't Back Down 


Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down
(I won't back down)
Hey, baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground
And I won't back down
Well I know what's right
I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground
And I won't back down
(I won't back down)
Hey, baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground
And I won't back down
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
Hey, I won't back down
(I won't back down)
Hey, baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground
And I won't back down
No, I won't back down

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Jeff Lynne / Tom Petty
I Won't Back Down lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Gone Gator Music 

No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it