Sunday, January 10, 2021

DEALING WITH SHOCK IN DC AFTER CAPITOL ATTACKED

PTSD Patrol
Kathie Costos
January 10, 2021

America is in shock right now. Now is the time to take back your life before PTSD sets in. If you were in the Capitol on January 6th, you need the understanding and tools to help you heal.

The first step is to accept that you had no power over what others chose to do. You do have the power over what you do afterwards. You are no longer a victim of those hours...but you are a survivor of all of it!

Posted on Facebook earlier today

Members of Congress, their staff and people all over the country are dealing with shock from the events on Wednesday January 6, 2021.
Now it's sinking in: Wednesday's Capitol Hill riot was even more violent than it first appeared
(CNN) "As is the case with many traumatic events, it has taken some time for the reality to sink in. "I was in the crowd and didn't realize how bad it was until a day or two after," reporter Richard Hall of The Independent, a British newspaper, tweeted Saturday."

"Only later did it become clear that lawmakers feared for their lives; that some of the attackers were hunting for congressional leaders; that there could have been a massacre."
Shock will remain for a while as you process what happened. Returning to that building, will turn your stomach. As you come closer to it, it will get stronger. Walking up the steps will feel as if you are carrying a thousand pound weight on your feet. Walking down the halls will bring back haunting images of that day. Entering into the rooms you were in before it happened, will fuel a sense of dread. You will have emotional flashbacks. All of your senses will be taken over from then, so you will not feel anything but the way you felt that day.

Now is the time to take action before PTSD has a chance to take hold of your life.

Today on PTSD Patrol, there will be a special post and video about this.

When you enter this place, images will come back as you look around.

As you look at others you serve with, knowing they supported this, anger will try to overcome your sense of trust. It is one thing to be on political sides, and a much deeper level of division when they supported this. Remember, that you were not the only target, so were they.

The invaders were looking for the Vice President, chanting "Hang Mike Pence" while he was there to uphold his Constitutional duties.

Slowly the building will be repaired. Security will be tightened and you will begin to feel safer there. Those who attacked you, are being found and arrested. Considering the news crews were not the only ones filming them, but they provided their own evidence for convictions, they will begin to suffer the consequences for what they chose to do.

The Capitol rioters put themselves all over social media. Now they’re getting arrested.
(VOX) Many participants willingly — and quite happily — posed for photos and videos at the scene, or boasted of their exploits on social media and verified livestream accounts during or shortly after the melee, even though many of their actions may well constitute serious crimes. Apparently believing they weren’t doing anything wrong, or that law enforcement wouldn’t go after them for their actions, the Trump supporters paraded in front of cameras wearing distinct (and thus easily recognizable) costumes and, in some cases, even ID badges.

But you will also suffer the consequences for what they chose to do too.

Nightmares, flashbacks, mood swings, paranoia and anger, will invade your days.

What to do after experiencing a traumatic event(UK Mental Health Foundation)
Turn to others for support

It can be difficult to talk to close family or friends after a traumatic event. You may not want to cause them any distress or may simply want some space to process it all. However, it is important to be around other people when you feel able to, as they can help with your recovery and wellbeing. You do not have to talk to them about the experience. If you don’t have anyone close by to talk to, you can contact one of the organisations below, who will be able to offer further help.

Look after yourself

It is important to look after your health and wellbeing. This can include taking a break or some time away to deal with your experience. You should also try and keep a healthy diet and stay away from drugs and alcohol, which can exacerbate the problem.



Do not expect people you know to understand if they were not there. Turn to those who were with you, experienced the same event because they will understand.

Honor your feelings, Do not think you are supposed to be stronger or better than "this" because you are only human. If you need to cry, then cry. If you are angry, then scream. Honor whatever you need to, so that you will be ready for healing.

Letting out the bad emotions you are feeling, allows the pain to flow out of you so that healing can enter into you. Understanding and accepting what you were powerless to do, will fuel what you are empowered to do.

This is not a contest. One among you may be suffering at a deeper level. Do not judge them because you  will never know what else they have gone through before. Some may seem emotionally stronger than you, but that does not mean you are weaker in any sense. It very well could mean your emotional core is stronger and you felt it more. Just support each other and be there to listen for as long as they need to talk. You do the same for yourself.

As you support one another in healing, you heal together. Human nature dictates that helping is healing to the helper. Ask then for what you need and when you offer help, but they cannot express what they need from you, do what you would need from them.

The building will be restored step by step and so will you!

If the symptoms do not subside within 30 days, you may need more help to heal. Find a mental health expert who specializes in trauma.They are listed by state. It is imperative they understand the difference between trauma and other mental health conditions. They are treated differently because they are different. The only way to have PTSD strike is from trauma hitting you.

Trauma and PTSD Therapists in Washington, DC

Coming Out Of The Dark Gloria Estefan
Why be afraid if I'm not alone?
Though life is never easy
The rest in unknown
And up to now for me it's been
Hands against stone
Spent each and every moment
Searching for what to believe
Coming out of the dark
I finally see the light now
And it's shining on me
Coming out of the dark
I know the love that saved me
You're sharing with me
Starting again is part of the plan
And I'll be so much stronger
Holding your hand
Step by step, I'll make it through
I know I can
I may not make it easier
But I have felt you
Near all the way
Coming out of the dark
I finally see the light now
And it's shining on me
(I see the light)
(I see the light)
I see the light (I see the light)
Coming out of the dark
I know the love that saved me
You're sharing with me
Ever (I stand on the rock)
I stand on the rock of your love
(Forever) ever
(And ever) and ever
Can't nobody stop me, watch me
(Forever) ever
(And ever) and ever
Stand on the rock
Of your love is all it takes
No matter what we face
Coming out of the dark
I see the light
I feel your love shining on me (shining)
(Shining) Yeah, shining on me (shining)
I know the love that saved me
You're sharing
You're sharing with me (I see the light)
Sharing with me (I see the light)
Sharing with me (I see the light)
Sharing with me (coming out of the dark)
I cannot be in the dark
Making it into the light, yeah
Your love's shining on me (shining)
Shining on me (I see the light)
Shining on me (I see the light)
(Shining, I see the light)
(Coming out of the dark)
I see the light
I see the light (I see the light)
(I see the light)
Shining, shining on me
(Shining, shining)
I didn't think that I could take it (shining)
But your love helped me to make it (coming out of the dark)
Coming out of the dark
I see the light now
Yes, I see the light
(Shining) (I see the light)
(Shining) (I see the light)
(Shining) (I see the light)

Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Gloria M. Estefan / Jon Secada / Emilio Estefan Jr.
Coming Out of the Dark lyrics © Foreign Imported Prod. And Publishing

This is one of the first videos I did on PTSD for veterans.....

Why be afraid if you're not alone? Life is never easy, the rest is unknown. The song is by Gloria Estefan and the first time I heard it, all I could think about were the Vietnam veterans I spent so much time with including my husband. You are not alone fighting to heal PTSD just as you were not alone during combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it