Monday, January 4, 2021

Your masquerade isn't working

PTSD Patrol
Kathie Costos
January 4, 2021

When I was a kid my Mom would take one look at me, see the neon sign on my forehead, and know something was wrong. She would ask, "what's the matter" or "what are you hiding" or "what did you do" and most of the time, she'd get the question right. No matter how hard I tried to hide it, I'd have to confess. Then there were times when she was totally wrong. She would blame me for something my brother did. No matter how hard I tried to prove my innocence, it didn't work. Sooner of later, my brother would fess up and tell the truth. Usually that happened after I had already been punished. Trust was eroded.

As a grown up, we try to hide stuff too. We try to hide what we are thinking, more than we try to hide what we're doing. When you have PTSD, you may want to believe you are hiding your pain but, the people in your life notice the difference. They end up judging you, believing you turned into a jerk, and then, they judge themselves.

Your masquerade isn't working. The time to come clean about what is going on is right now. Covering up your pain leaves them to assume all sorts of things, and none of them add up to the fact you survived something they will never fully understand, or even begin to, unless you stop the masquerade.

That is why today the featured video is George Benson, Masquerade.


It will be a lot easier on you if you open up and tell them what is going on, because sooner or later, someone will stand by your side, and help you heal so you can be yourself again.

Remember, it is your life...get in and drive it!

#BreakTheSilence and #TakeBackYourLife from #PTSD
This Masquerade
George Benson

Are we really happy here
With this lonely game we play?
Looking for words to say
Searching but not finding understanding anywhere
We're lost in a masquerade
Both afraid to say we're just too far away
From being close together from the start
We tried to talk it over but the words got in the way
We're lost inside this lonely game we play
Thoughts of leaving disappear
Every time I see your eyes
No matter how hard I try
To understand the reasons that we carry on this way
We're lost in a masquerade

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Leon Russell
This Masquerade lyrics © Reservoir Media Management Inc 

George Benson Masquerade (Live) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it