Friday, August 7, 2020

PTSD Patrol claiming your power

PTSD Patrol 
Kathie Costos
August 7, 2020

When I was growing up, my Mom said the surest way to get me to do something, was telling me I couldn't. I am still that way. It was almost as if I was always willing to accept the challenge. Even now, I enjoy trying. My Mom gave up on a lot of things with me...but never gave up on me.

Some people have a place of power in our lives, like our family and close friends. Others, who really don't know us only have what we give them but we forget that. 

About 20 years ago, I ran into someone I went to high school with. He wanted to apologize for the way he treated me. For some reason, whatever it was, bothered him for 20 years, but I laughed because I didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about. I told him that whatever he thought he did to me, he didn't.

That is what happens when we stop letting people have power over us, or think what they think of us matters, when they do not really matter in our lives.

No one has power over us unless we give it to them. Fear of failure has no power unless we let it stop us from trying. Nothing that happened in the past has the power unless we fear using our strength as a survivor and take back control of our lives. When you realize that, your life is about to get a lot happier! #BreakTheSilence and #TakeBackYourLife from #PTSD



Patty Chang Anker is the author of SOME NERVE: Lessons Learned While Becoming Brave and the blogger behind Facing Forty Upside Down, for which she was named a Good Housekeeping Blogger We Love and voted a "Top 25 Funny Mom" at Circle of Moms. Anker is currently blogging on the issue of anxiety for Psychology Today.com and her work has appeared in O magazine and Marie Claire.
After a lifetime of living nowhere near the edge (hello, fear of failure!), she realized her comfort zone had shrunk to the size of her tush on the bench from which she cheered her children. When she started saying yes to things that scared her she discovered what it feels like to be truly alive. Some Nerve is the result of four years of facing her fears and inspiring others to face theirs. For the sake of the TEDx talk she thankfully does not have a fear of public speaking. But she does still have a fear of clowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it