Wednesday, August 19, 2020

PTSD Patrol: We Shall Overcome That Hill

PTSD Patrol
Kathie Costos
August 9, 2020

Shauna Quigley is the feature video today. She is talking about when she was young and grew up with a problem..alcoholism in the family, tragic death and multiple traumas.

As I was listening to her, it sounded a lot like my life. My wakening moment came when one night when I was about 7, I woke up in the middle of the night and headed to the bathroom. As I walked down the hall, the light was coming from across the street and made a door glow. I swear to this day, it was the face of Jesus. I was comforted. 

Like Shauna, experts said that I should have had PTSD and all the other problems that come along with it. I didn't. Sure I went through all the symptoms that come with shock, but PTSD did not take hold for long. That is, not until I was much older and my ex-husband tried to kill me, and then stalked me for a very long time.

For the most part, I was able to fight on unless I heard a muscle car and the engine rev. Adrenaline rush, heart racing, flashbacks and fear would take over for seconds until I could remind myself it was not him and I survived the worst he could do.

Rationally that fear should have not followed me down the east coast, but it did until my cousin sent me his obituary clipping from the newspaper.

But I overcame all of it! So can you. I hope that you find comfort on these pages and daily reminders that the only thing you are limited by, is giving up. This is a hill that you can get over and sometimes, you need to go into overdrive to do it~






Healing Trauma: New Paradigm Letting the Body Inform the Mind | Shauna Quigley | TEDxStormontWomen 

Trauma and it’s negative effects on our mental health has been an age old problem. Therapist Shauna Quigley demystifies the healing process by sharing her story of healing her own childhood trauma. She invites you to consider the idea that trauma can be healed if we allow the body to inform the mind. 

Shauna is the Founder and Director of Wellnessseeker, an online school that offers a variety of programmes, aimed directly at supporting mental and emotional difficulties. Shauna is passionate about the potential of the human spirit to heal and is convinced that everyone has the capacity to transform their suffering.


Keep these lyrics in your mind and know that we shall overcome, if we believe!
We shall overcome
We shall overcome
We shall overcome, some day 

Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome, some day 

We'll walk hand in hand
We'll walk hand in hand
We'll walk hand in hand, some day 

Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome, some day 

We shall live in peace
We shall live in peace
We shall live in peace, some day 

Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome, some day 

We are not afraid
We are not afraid
We are not afraid, TODAY 

Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome, some day 

The whole wide world around
The whole wide world around
The whole wide world around some day 

Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome, some day

No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it