Wednesday, October 14, 2020

PTSD Patrol getting past "Thunderdome"

PTSD Patrol
Kathie Costos
October 14, 2020




"Out of the ruins...Out from the wreckage...All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome...Looking for something...We can rely on...There's got to be something better out there...Love and compassion" words from the movie Thunderdome. 

There are so many different parts of We Don't Need Another Hero that apply to recovering from PTSD. 

After surviving over 10 times, the worst for me was after my ex-husband tried to kill me, then stalked me for a long time. The sound of the muscle cars he always drove caused flashbacks and all that came with it. For me, that was the thunder in my dome...my head.

I never knew what kind of car he would be driving because he was an auto body mechanic. He would use customer's cars so that I wouldn't be able to call the police with the plate number of his car. I had a restraining order but it didn't do any good.

Many years after I move from Massachusetts to Florida, it still happened, even though it was "irrational" that was my reality. That didn't end until I got a copy of his obituary in the mail. That ended my dread of muscle cars because I knew he would never be able to hurt me again.

Your flashbacks may be irrational too but there are understandable irrationalities.

What I would like you to understand is that even within all those years of that terror, I was relatively happy. I worked to help other people understand what PTSD was and what it did, as well as try to help them know that they could overcome it, even if they could not cure it.

PTSD doesn't have to consume you or rob you of living a happier life. If I could do it, you can get out from under your "Thunderdome" too!

#BreakTheSilence and #TackBackYourLife from #PTSD


We Don’t Need Another Hero
Tina Turner

Out of the ruins 
Out from the wreckage
Can't make the same mistake this time
We are the children 
The last generation (the last generation)
We are the ones they left behind
And I wonder when we are ever gonna change it
Living under the fear 'til nothing else remains
We don't need another hero 
We don't need to know the way home 
All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome
Looking for something 
We can rely on 
There's got to be something better out there
Love and compassion 
Their day is coming (coming)
All else are castles built in the air
And I wonder when we are ever gonna change it 
Living under the fear 'til nothing else remains
All the children say
We don't need another hero 
We don't need to know the way home 
All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome
So what do we do with our lives?
We leave only a mark 
Will our story shine like a light
Or end in the dark?
Is it all or nothing?
We don't need another hero 
We don't need to know the way home 
All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome
All the children say
We don't need another hero (we don't need another hero)
We don't need to know the way home 
All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Graham Hamilton Lyle / Terry Britten
We Don’t Need Another Hero lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd., BMG Rights Management 

No comments:

Post a Comment

guide to take back our life

June 26, 2021 The new site for PTSD Patrol  is up and running. New blog posts will begin there on June 27, 2021. This site will remain up.

PTSD Patrol

PTSD Patrol
It is your life, get in and drive it